These couple of months are when a majority of college admissions representatives would be visiting India and meeting with interested students which means that preparing a solid interview strategy would be very helpful.
Here are some things that you should know about the nature of these interviews:
- These interviews are built to add a face to the application which helps greatly. Additionally, there is a high chance that the person interviewing you would also be the one reading your admissions application
- This is as much as an interview for you as it is a sales pitch for the institution: Colleges take this as an opportunity to really sell their college and would try to weave a narrative based on the your responses to their questions
- A bad interview (for the most part) does not jeopardize your chances of getting into the college, but a great interview can leave a lasting impression on an admissions counsellor
What questions to expect at such an interview:
- What classes are you taking?
- What are the things you do outside the classroom?
- If asked, what would your school teachers tell me about you?
- What is it that you would like to do in college?
- Why this college?
- Are there any questions for me? (most important question)
Things to do before the interview:
- Research: Know as much as you can about the college. Read up reviews and come into the interview with at least 6 questions
- Dress well: Most students choose to dress casually but be business casual at the least. It shows that you are serious and have come here with a plan
During the interview:
- Meet interviewers with a smile and introduce yourself well
- Enunciate and talk like you are passionate about the things that you are doing (think of this like a first date. You cannot unravel all your flaws but this doesn't mean that you lie)
- Each interview is allotted 30 minutes but if you just answer all the questions, the interview will only last for 10. Get comfortable as quickly as possible and be conversant. Again, remember: A bad interview does not jeopardize your chances of getting into the college, but a great interview can leave a lasting impression on an admissions counsellor
We hope this was helpful. Contact us if you would like to schedule mock interviews or if you would just like to know more Ed Brand!