Securing an internship can be one of the most stressful parts of college life. Each step along the way – the career fairs, the networking events, and the interviews – can overwhelm students. The work doesn’t end there though. Performance in the internship is just as important. Here are some things we tell students as they begin the college, search for internships, and throughout the internship process.
Learn to open doors
Learn how to make connections in the areas in which you’re interested. Further, learn how to use those connections appropriately to network for available internships. This could be from meeting them for coffee during the day, giving them a call, or even simply connecting with them on LinkedIn and being involved.
If you haven’t made a LinkedIn account, now is the perfect time to set one up. Click here to learn all about LinkedIn
Once you crack an internship
- Come prepared on the first day. Know about the company and what your role will be.
- Meet as many people in the organization as possible. Linking names and faces will allow you to share experiences with more people, while creating a positive association with your coworkers and superiors.
- Try new things. Just because you don’t know how something is done doesn’t mean you can’t try! Putting yourself in new situations will allow you to learn new things and become more useful to the organization.
- Build relationships and connections. Just meeting people won’t be enough to be a good intern. It is important to continue conversations and build relationships with the people around you. This makes the workplace more fun, plus you can receive great recommendations from coworkers.
- Ask for advice and tips. The people around you would love to give you feedback on your experiences – good and bad. Never hesitate to ask for tips for your future or how to improve. Nobody’s perfect, but learning will make your next internship even better!
- Stay connected after you leave. Just because the internship is over doesn’t mean the communication has to stop. Some companies would love to have you back for another internship, or stay connected for job opportunities after college. Any connection you make during an internship is an important one, so make sure to keep the connection going forward.`
Remember to be confident and honest throughout the interview and internship process, and you won’t go wrong!
If you have any more questions, come have a chat with us!